Post #6

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018

Today was my third day going to the headquarters of First Solar in Tempe, Arizona. I had more meetings today while getting a closer look at some internal communications of the company, but probably the most significant part of the day was me learning a little more about the science. In a few days, I'll actually be going down and seeing a plant, and it's important that I get some better basic knowledge before that. I had learned a little bit on Monday about the science behind the panels, but I expanded my knowledge today, and I'll continue to do so. Michael and I talked again for a while, and he got a little more technical today. Here's a little more to the breakdown that I learned: The secret recipe film that he alluded too before is sprayed on the entire module (panel), and then they use lasers to cut horizontally apart to create different cells differentiated by the lasers. He said to think about batteries here: if you compile a bunch of batteries together, you're going to increase the whole voltage. This same concept applies to the cells in a module. Together when working they will all increase the amount of solar energy captured. It's important to understand that most energy distributions to given cities and companies aren't entirely solar. Solar energy is always usually coupled with other types of energy. This is especially true during the night time and early morning when the sun is not at its peak. These times of the day affect the price as well as state and country regulations. For example, solar energy is more encouraged in states like California where the government is more liberal. Since the demand is higher there, the price also becomes higher. Another important detail that helped me understand other conversations in other meetings was how First Solar is progressing. Originally First Solar had smaller panels than silicon-based panels at a 2 by 4 size. But now with series 6, the newest module, the panels are going to increase to the same 4 by 8 size of silicon-based panels. With better energy capture of diffuses light, a lower price to build, and having the same size as a silicon-based module, it's clear who wins that battle. With series 6 getting rolled out First Solar will continue to dominate the industry. Another interesting detail that was talked about was China's role in the industry. China's government likes to cut off industries just to cut off industries. First Solar is in the business to make money, but China isn't. They give their panels for prices sometimes that don't even give them profits just to ruin competitors. It's these politics and regulations that make this job more than just selling panels to whoever wants them. These discussions also helped remind me that even though First Solar is helping the environment, just like any other business they're trying to make money. That's completely understandable, but I'm glad I came to that complete realization early on. I now understand that trying to make money and help the environment aren't mutually exclusive; we can achieve both. 

Comments

  1. It is interesting to read your perspectives as you experience different parts of the business. I am looking forward to reading about the plant as that is the part of this experience that is the most foreign to me. Good entries- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #3

Post #5

Post #4